This article is featured on Mining Monthly. Link here
Optimal lubrication of bearing elements has been a historical challenge for engineers and maintenance departments. No-where is this more true than within the mining industry, where constant harsh conditions create the perfect storm that directly impacts the lifespan of bearings. From unexpected breakdowns to reduced capacity, poor lubrication results in the build-up of friction that can lead, in worst-case-scenarios, to catastrophic events that halt production entirely.
Incorrect lubrication is the single greatest cause of bearing failure, with 64% of failure and premature replacements being the result of over or under lubrication, according to the American Bearing Manufacturers Association.
Eliminating Friction: 2 common lubrication mistakes
There’s no denying the lubrication challenge. Mining operations work around the clock, with assets often in hazardous and/or hard to reach locations. Many processes lead to contaminated areas that present issues for regular human approach and many maintenance programs cope with constant interruptions, such as staff changes or shortages. While lubrication is, by necessity, high on the list of priority maintenance tasks, it often becomes a casualty of outside influences.
The following are the two prime reasons that bearings fail – and it all falls down to lubrication errors.
- Over and under lubrication: The number 1 reason for bearing breakdown or failure to last a full lifespan, too much or too little both have detrimental effects. Over lubricate, and this raises pressure, therefore increasing friction and raising the temperature. This prevents the lubricant from doing its job – as does not apply enough of the product. Both shorten the lifespan of the bearing.
- Sticking to a strict timescale: Lubricating because it is ‘on the to-do list’ rather than because the bearing needs it. This often leads to over-zealous greasing or oiling and the problems discussed in point 1.
While you do, of course, need a lubrication schedule, the key to the ultimate bearing protection and health involves a strategic plan to get it right.
Introducing Lubri-Cup™: The novel solution to optimal bearing lubrication
One such solution is the Lubri-Cup™, an automatic innovative grease dispenser produced by Chesterton®, industrial lubricant and MRO chemical division. This innovative solution solves many of the bearing lubrication challenges, providing a precise amount of industrial grease or oil exactly when needed.
These reliable, efficient dispensers successfully eliminate the primary cause of bearing failure – that of over and under-lubrication. Advantages of using the Lubri-Cup™ include:
- Can be used in both single and multi-point locations
- Simple to install and use
- Ideal for hazardous and inconvenient locations, or within contaminated areas and processes
- Available in both nitrogen-driven disposable units and electro-mechanical units with replaceable service packs
The Chesterton Lubri-Cup™ Automatic Grease Dispensers come in a variety of sizes, making them suitable for all bearing applications. When reliability is crucial, managing the provision of an effective 24/7 maintenance program is a key component of extending machinery lifespan. Including such an automated system solution adds a valuable dimension to the process, ensuring reliable bearing lubrication, no matter what the situation.
Discover More About the Unique Chesterton Lubri-Cup™
Chesterton offers world-leading equipment solutions, working with global operations to bring effective tools and maintenance requirements to the mining industry. The Chesterton® Lubri-Cup™ is a much-anticipated tool that’s revolutionising the lubrication of asset bearings within the industry.
Lubri-Cup™ Connecting without touching
Maximise your equipment life with Lubri-Cup™ Automatic Lubrication Solution, the healthy alternative to manual greasing.
To find out more visit