Chesterton® sealing solution reduces downtime and improves production for global tire manufacturer
Chesterton was challenged by a large global tire manufacturer to help reduce downtime, eliminate scrapped product and improve production of their Banbury® mixers.
The OEM rubber rod stacked set and piston-cup were leaking prematurely, causing unplanned downtime and slowing down production in the making of one batch.
- Average cycle time for one batch = 130 seconds
- 8 hour shift produced 221 Batches
- Pressure: 7 BAR / 100 psi
- Temperature: 65° C /150° F
Products featured in this case study:
- Chesterton 7K Piston Seal – Single-acting piston cup with supporting brass disc for anti-extrusion resistance
- Chesterton 8K Rod & Piston Seals – Ensures even loading
- Chesterton 5K Wiper Seal – Moulded, positive-rake profile, abrasion-resistant wiper
Chesterton recommended a complete sealing solution during cylinder rebuild which included replacement of the wiper, rod seal, and piston seal.
- 7K Piston-cup – Rugged construction with a supporting brass disc, moulded into the base to maximize performance
- 8K Stacked Set – Pressure sensitive, custom moulded stacked set
- 5K Wiper – Custom wiper blocks contaminants from entering system
- AWC 800 – Thermoset wear resistant material is able to offset equipment scoring
Improved performance and reliability
The Chesterton sealing solution had a significant impact on production. The customer recorded the following:
- Average cycle time improvement = 121 sec.
- Cycle time saving = 9 sec. / batch
- Production after upgrade = 238 batches
- Gained 17 batches per 8-hour shift
- 21 shifts per week
- 357 batches per week gained
- Tonnage of rubber = 91.3 (182,600 lb) per/wk
All 6 Banbury mixers at this plant have since been upgraded to the Chesterton sealing solution.
MTBR increased: 10X
Chesterton® is a world leader in helping process industry companies and manufacturers improve the reliability and efficiency of their rotating, stationary, and fluid power equipment platforms. We are known across a wide range of industries for our award-winning pump and valve sealing solutions, applications expertise, equipment maintenance and wear-prevention products, and knowledgeable hands-on local service. Chesterton product range includes mechanical seals, packing and gaskets, industrial lubricants and coatings.
® Registered trademark owned by A.W. Chesterton Company
Technical data reflects results of laboratory tests and is intended to indicate general characteristics only. A.W. Chesterton Company disclaims all warranties expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Liability, if any, is limited to product replacement only. Any images contained herein are for general illustrative or aesthetic purposes only and are not intended to convey any instructional, safety, handling, or usage information or advice respecting any product or equipment. Please refer to relevant Safety Data Sheets, Product Data Sheets, and/or Product Labels for safe use, storage, handling, and disposal of products, or consult with your local Chesterton sales representative.