Cost-saving for tire manufacturer with custom sealing solution
A prominent tire manufacturer was experiencing excessive leakage of the centrepost cylinders on their Krupp vulcanizer tire equipment, causing loss of pressure, unplanned maintenance, and lost production.
The OEM seals, made from PTFE, began to leak soon after start-up and had to be replaced on average after 5 months due to excessive leakage.
- 305 mm (12 inch stroke), 6 cycles/hour
Products featured in this case study:
Chesterton® custom spring-energized seal – the ideal choice in a wide variety of critical industrial equipment and applications.
Chesterton engineers designed a custom spring energized seal solution as an upgrade for sealing both steam and water.
- Temperature – 50°to 195° C (122°to 383° F)
- Pressure – up to 150 bar (580 psi)
- Seal Jacket – made from a durable, heat resistant AWC 400/carbon, and graphite filled PTFE able to withstand operating environment
- Spring – 303 high performance stainless steel, cantilever design, provides optimal load to sealing jacket to maximize performance
Improved Performance & Reliability
- The Chesterton sealing solution was able to increase reliability and equipment efficiency of the centrepost cylinders
- The solution extended the repair cycle from 5 months previously up to 30 months before replacement was required
- Additional savings were realized for gains in maintenance and production
MTBR Increased: 6X
Chesterton® is a world leader in helping process industry companies and manufacturers improve the reliability and efficiency of their rotating, stationary, and fluid power equipment platforms. We are known across a wide range of industries for our award-winning pump and valve sealing solutions, applications expertise, equipment maintenance and wear-prevention products, and knowledgeable hands-on local service. Chesterton product range includes mechanical seals, packing and gaskets, industrial lubricants and coatings.
® Registered trademark owned by A.W. Chesterton Company
Issued 06/2022. EN23727
Technical data reflects results of laboratory tests and is intended to indicate general characteristics only. A.W. Chesterton Company disclaims all warranties expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Liability, if any, is limited to product replacement only. Any images contained herein are for general illustrative or aesthetic purposes only and are not intended to convey any instructional, safety, handling, or usage information or advice respecting any product or equipment. Please refer to relevant Safety Data Sheets, Product Data Sheets, and/or Product Labels for safe use, storage, handling, and disposal of products, or consult with your local Chesterton sales representative.