Improved MTBM for Excavator
A continuous surface lignite mine was experiencing severe leakage of worn, scored vertical and horizontal leg cylinders in the walking units of a bucket-wheel excavator (BWE). Leakage caused an unplanned shutdown and production loss.
OEM rubber seals were leaking shortly after installation. They had no ability to conform to surface irregularities of the damaged rods.
Upon inspection, the OEM rubber wiper was found ineffective. It led to scoring of the piston rod in an abrasive environment.
Chesterton’s local specialist recommended a cylinder upgrade solution with the ability for on-site installation, reducing mean time to repair. This included:
- A high-performance, split wiper used in combination with split stacked set.
- Chesterton® 21K – A positive rake profile that effectively wipes away contaminants and protects
- Chesterton® 8K – A positive rake design that provides optimum operating conditions. Further dual material combination works on worn, damages rod surface.
The end-user was extremely satisfied with the performance, which resulted in less frequent downtime and shorter seal replacement works on site.
- Improved performance and reliability.
- Postponed the capital repair of large diameter, heavy-duty hydraulic cylinders.