Matrix Seal Success in Coal Mining
Chesterton case study – Chesterton products – Chesterton Rotary Seal
Chesterton’s rotary seals possess the innovative split design which eliminates the need for equipment disassembly and minimizes equipment downtime to ensure optimal continuous operation of critical equipment. These can be used with pumps, gearboxes, and other rotating equipment.
Products featured in the case study:
- Chesterton® Matrix Rotary Seal
- A client experienced continuous oil leaks after startup on a conveyor gearbox.
- Contamination was entering the bearing housing, resulting in frequent seal changes and considerable downtime costs.
- The seals lasted only four weeks.
A Chesterton representative installed two Chesterton Matrix Rotary Seals:
- One faced the bearing to seal lubrication.
- The other faced the retainer ring to prevent outside contamination from entering the bearing housing.
- Both seals were installed rapidly without the need for disassembly of equipment, thereby minimizing downtime.
- MTBR increased to 18 months, 12X the previous method with zero leakage!
- Matrix Seals offer an excellent solution for long-term bearing protection.
- With the split seal design, the Matrix Seal can be installed in minutes, delivering significant savings on critical downtime!