Matrix Split Seal Saves Oil and Stops Leakage in Steel Mill Gearboxes
Chesterton case study – Chesterton products – Chesterton Rotary Seal
Chesterton’s rotary seals possess the innovative split design which eliminates the need for equipment disassembly and minimizes equipment downtime to ensure optimal continuous operation of critical equipment. These can be used with pumps, gearboxes, and other rotating equipment.
Products featured in the case study:
- Chesterton® Matrix Rotary Seal
- A steel mill had significantly worn out shafts with the gearboxes on the “repeater” of the wire mill. The wear was caused by running various rubber-style lip seals.
- Gearboxes were leaking oil consistently upon startup after a new competitor seal was installed. This progressively worsened causing significant oil/grease loss and major housekeeping issues.
Replaced competitor’s seal with the Chesterton® Matrix Rotary Seal, a split polymer seal that can be installed in minutes minimized critical downtime.
- A unitized design.
- Advanced polymer combined with impregnated synthetic fiber packing technology to maximize performance.
- Positively seals out bearing contamination while keeping lubrication in.
- Withstands large runout conditions and vibration.
- The Chesterton® Matrix Rotary Seals running leak-free since installation (over six months).
- Piping improvements and the Matrix Seals have resulted in a drastic oil consumption reduction from nine truck tankers to three each year.
- An an ROI study revealed $177,500 in net oil savings in six months.