Matrix Split Seal Saves Oil and Stops Leakage in Steel Mill Gearboxes
- A steel mill had significantly worn out shafts with the gearboxes on the “repeater” of the wire mill. The wear was caused by running various rubber-style lip seals.
- Gearboxes were leaking oil consistently upon startup after a new competitor seal was installed. This progressively worsened causing significant oil/grease loss and major housekeeping issues.
Replaced competitor’s seal with the Chesterton® Matrix Rotary Seal, a split polymer seal that can be installed in minutes minimized critical downtime.
- A unitized design.
- Advanced polymer combined with impregnated synthetic fiber packing technology to maximize performance.
- Positively seals out bearing contamination while keeping lubrication in.
- Withstands large runout conditions and vibration.
Back to Case Studies
- The Chesterton® Matrix Rotary Seals running leak-free since installation (over six months).
- Piping improvements and the Matrix Seals have resulted in a drastic oil consumption reduction from nine truck tankers to three each year.
- An an ROI study revealed $177,500 in net oil savings in six months.