Sulfuric Acid Gas plant in Korea
Chesterton® 1600 Graphite Valve Packing – Superior Leakage Control
A Chemical plant in Korea, processing sulfuric acid gas using local packaging, had excessive stem corrosion due to severe leaks and applied Furmanite as an emergency repair.
Equipment: Control Valve
Size: 50mm(I.D.) x 63mm(O.D.)
Products featured in this case study:
In February 2020, a Chesterton specialist recommended installing 6 Chesterton® 1600 Graphite Valve Packing without the need to replace the stem or valve.
This graphite valve packing features advanced construction for superior leakage control and high integrity:
- Layers of graphite tape are applied into compact strands
- Each strand is reinforced with an Inconel®* wire mesh covering
- Strands are square plait braided to form a dense pliable packing and further enhanced with blocking agents
- The packing’s exterior is densely coated with lubricating agents to reduce stem friction
- A passive corrosion inhibitor is applied to prevent valve stem pitting
*Inconel® is a registered trademark of Special Metals Corporation.
The local packing MTBR was four months. Once the Client changed over to the suggested Chesterton® 1600 Graphite Valve Packing solution, they achieved over 24 months MTBR and still counting
|Product plus Labor||USD 800||USD 1500|
|Cycle||4 months||24 months|
|2 Years Total||USD 800 * 4 = USD 4800||USD 1500|
|Total Savings||USD 3300|
With continuous research and state-of-the-art advancement, Chesterton offers a full packing and gasketing technology line. Our proven expertise delivers the highest performing sealing systems for a wide range of applications.
® Registered trademark owned by A.W. Chesterton Company