As Christmas approaches, you’re no doubt thinking about some well-deserved time off. But while you enjoy downtime, can you be sure that your machinery’s moving parts are being correctly maintained? After all, the industry doesn’t take time off – no matter what the time of year. Mining operations, in particular, operate 24/7, as do many other assets.
Ensuring that adequate grease is dispensed, to lubricate bearings correctly, has historically been a challenge. But this conundrum is no longer a headache, thanks to the unique Chesterton Lubri-Cup™ EM Series of automatic grease dispensers.
What is Lubri-Cup™?
In short, the Chesterton Lubri-Cup™ is an electro-mechanical automatic grease dispenser that’s controlled by a micro-processor. Suitable for all bearing applications, but especially advantageous for those in hard to reach or hazardous locations, this unique piece of equipment dispenses the exact amount of industrial oil or grease at the precise time that it’s needed.
In addition to the obvious advantages of automated bearing lubrication, the Lubri-Cup™ offers the following benefits:
- Easy to install and use
- Comes in nitrogen-driven disposable units and electro-mechanical units with replaceable service packs
- Can be used in single and multi-point locations
- Little maintenance required
- Explosion proof model available
Dramatically enhance safety with Lubri-Cup™?
The biggest problem of adequate lubrication is that of the right amount being applied at appropriate intervals. In fact, over or under-lubrication is the number 1 reason for bearing breakdown or a reduced lifespan.
This is a sadly an all-too-common occurrence – one that happens due to multiple reasons:
- Under-lubricating often occurs due to interruptions to lubrication schedules. Very often, the maintenance of assets becomes a casualty of outside influences. Staff shortages, changes in staffing, sickness, time off… These are all reasons that regular tasks get pushed down the list of must-do. Trying to ensure staff get enough time off over the Christmas period is a classic example of such an event.
- Another reason is that very often, the bearings of assets being hard to get to. This could be because of remote locations, hazardous environments or places that are hard to reach.
- Human error leading to heavy handed lubrication is another common mistake, often happening because it’s on the to-do list, rather than because it needs doing.
Both over and under-lubrication causes bearing damage. The former because it raises the pressure, increases friction and working temperature so the lubricant doesn’t work effectively. The latter because excessive friction occurs, therefore the temperature rises and the bearing becomes prematurely worn.
A Lubri-Cup™ for Every Occasion
The suppliers of this innovative automated lubrication device, Chesterton, are experts in the provision of rotating equipment solutions. To this end, a variety of units have been designed to address a huge variety of assets and situations.
- The EM: Primary unit, micro-processer ‘pulse’ delivery system
- The EMX: Certified for use in potentially hazardous situations
- The EM-S: Operation is machine synchronised
- The EM-SP: Machine synchronised, external machine powered
- The EM-VS: Vibration sensing for standby equipment
The application areas where Lubri-Cup™ is suitable for use are extensive. As an example, these include:
- Pumps, compressors and mixers
- Conveyors, hoists and cranes
- Fans and blowers
- Electric motors
- HVAC equipment
- Filling, bottling and packaging equipment
In fact, virtually any equipment with bearings can be fitted with Lubri-Cup™, so ensuring not only regular lubrication, but guaranteeing that the precise amount of oil or grease will be dispensed at the exact time that it’s needed.
If ever there was a piece of equipment that meant you could enjoy Christmas lunch safe in the knowledge that your bearings are also being well fed, then Lubri-Cup™ is it!
Chesterton Lubri-Cup™: Constantly working to ensure safety, no matter what the time of year
Automating bearing lubrication enhances safety standards, no matter where the equipment is located. Find out more about how to incorporate the Lubri-Cup™ within your asset maintenance program at